Friday, July 22, 2011

Tourist Distractions

A while ago I said to Tinus I wish we could go on a holiday where we didn't have to do anything but just eat and sleep and see the sights - and what do you know:  Here we are in Dubai, waiting for the time to pass so we can go to South Africa with nothing to do all day but eat and sleep and see the sights.  

This is a truly beautiful city but what I appreciate most of all is that the Emirate-es did not forget their humble beginnings.

A city of contrasts, where glass and steel towers over the still-operational wooden dhows and you'll find state of the art SUVs parked next to humble dwellings made out of mud and stone.  The eight years since we lived here the last time has seen Dubai bloom.  I am told there was an economic meltdown at some point, but business seems to be booming still and I am sure Dubai will bounce right back.


If you are wondering why I include so few photos in the blog; firstly, its very hard to take photos when your lens keeps on fogging up, secondly, the GLARE, and lastly, well I guess I am not really in a very creative space at present.  But since we are accidental tourists I took some photos for you - yeah for you, I've seen it remember.  (Gotta do a LOL or smiley here, does one do that on a blog?)  You will not believe how much the blog helps me, it keeps me sane, like an imaginary friend, someone who sits here next to me and hold my hand.  My mother asked me today who will be with Tinus today - saying he must be very scared and alone.  So just to put your minds at ease - he's staying with Schalk, an honorary brother who took him to the hospital and Schalk's girlfriend, Michelle will collect him afterward, because Schalk is flying - a plane, he's a pilot.


Tinus went in for the biopsy this afternoon at 2pm South African time, 4pm UAE time.  The time difference didn't help as my level of concern increased as the day wore on.  He's ok but has no results as yet, the results from the blood tests for tb will also only be available on Monday.  After the procedure Michelle took him to Rocky, another wonderfully interesting pilot friend, I think Schalk is doing a night stop and they didn't want him to be by himself, for which I am so grateful.  We started packing today, This is the first time ever, I think,  that I am packing more than a day before my flight. 

1 comment:

  1. Corna, thanks to my own dommigheid and now to my wife pointing it out, I have only today discovered your blog and the story behind the little Facebook posts.

    To say my thoughts are with you sounds very empty - but true. We are thinking of all of you.

    I am also blown away by your wonderful writing in your blog. The boertjie comes out in the tenses every now and again but you draw pictures for us that photographs could never draw. Thank you and please keep sharing your moments in thyme, wherever that thyme finds you.

    Love and a very big hug,
    Lawrence

    ReplyDelete